I have three experiences I've needed to write down for several months. With the wife and kids gone this weekend I have the perfect opportunity to get it done.
The first is a story one that Holly told me. We had just bought a couple dozen kiwi's and Natalie fell in love with them. She ate a quite a few but then stopped suddenly and wouldn't eat any more. She had a really concerned look on her face and Holly asked her what was wrong, to which she replied "my tongue, the seeds are stuck in my tongue and I can't get them out!" Her tongue had just puckered up or something. It turns out that her tongue, had not in fact, absorbed the kiwi seeds.
Second story. We play music pretty regular in our house. The kids will sing and dance daily. While we were having a quiet time (me reading a book on the couch, Henry sleeping, Holly in the kitchen and Talie coloring) I hear the sweetest little voice start singing "I hurd there was a secret cord, that David played and it pleas-ed the lo-ard, but you don't really care for music doo yaa?, ha-lle-lu-jah, ha-lle-lu-jah, ha-lle-lu-jah". Words cannot express how powerfully this hit me. Talie listens to and follow the lyrics. I've been a lot more aware of the lyrics in songs that are played in the house. If only you (dear reader) could have experienced the sweet simplicity of that little voice singing to herself. I could barely resist the urge to scoop her into my arms and repay her in hugs and kisses for melting my heart without even knowing or trying.
Last story, Henry loves reading books, any book, all the time, anywhere. The problem is, if he gets bored, he throws another book in your lap, hoping it is more interesting than the book being read, or you'll read the new book with more enthusiasm. As in the previous story, I was reading a book on the couch while he leaning against the recliner with his book, and I see his little arm waving around. At first I thought there was a bee in the book or an airplane. As it turns out, he found music on the back page of one of the Little Golden books and was leading the music. It was at this point that I remember he would watch the chorister in church lead the congregation and Holly would help him stay occupied by helping him lead it as well. I didn't realize that he had begun associating music with squiggles and lines on a page. Going to church teaches more than love one another and that Jesus is the Christ. This is one of the simple, subtle things I'm grateful for when counting myself a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Obligatory Picture
(It wouldn't be a blog post if it didn't have a picture)
AWESOME picture! and I LOVE the idea of music at all times and how do you get quiet time at your house??? that blows my mind. But you just inspired the music idea...I am going too do it. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteChris you are a great writer! Love you
ReplyDeleteBecky, It's pretty easy at the moment. Henry still naps, and Talie likes a break from us nagging parents. She's usually entertained with crafts or netflix on the ipad. Quite time will become infinitely more difficult when Henry stops napping.
ReplyDeleteLove the pic... oh the dear sweet village! Great stories. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLove these stories - keep 'em coming!
ReplyDelete