First the Tid-bits.
My to-do list:
~Get laundry folded
~sweep/mop kitchen floor
~make bread
~blog
~play scrabble (priorities, I know!)
~make Valentines (they are the only cards I send out annually.)
~shave my legs
~grocery shop
~read my book(s)
~plan Sunday School lesson
~visit my very aged grandma
~work on my quiet book
~clean the bathroom
~gather info all about Bread Making for a R.S. activity tomorrow to be hosted/presented by me...(they think I know what I'm talking about.)
...all in no particular order
Things that make me happy today:
~my mini cast iron frying pan with an egg or two sizzling in it
~figuring out the PERFECT Valentines gift!
~hearing Talie boss her dolls around
~seeing Henry make a bee-line for paper on the floor- he crawls now
~hearing of other mothers with "laundry rooms" (translated: rooms with laundry in them)
~ovaltine and M&Ms
~Chris hugging me while I do the dishes
~being warm inside my cozy apartment while the world freezes outside
~Its February, which means its almost March, which means its almost April, which means its almost May, which means its ALMOST June, which means I can get some WARM sunshiney rays very soon!
*****
When Natalie was born we decided that her nickname (though these are often earned, we just pinned one right on her from the get-go) would be Tally. There was some debate as to how we would spell it. I liked "Tally" with a Y, others voiced their opinion and logical thinking saying it ought to be spelled with an IE, like in [na]Talie. Its made sense, but I didn't like the way it looked. So for nearly three years, we've been spelling it Tally. Y's are cool. My name ends with a Y. An EY is redundant and LLEY is especially redundant. And TALLY is apparently a Mathematics term. Its been a struggle. And on top of all of that, NOBODY knows how to spell it! Nursery leaders and Grandparents alike are constantly spelling it wrong! I always laugh. So I guess now is the time to set the record straight, once and for all!
After much debate, and seeing that Natalie is now beginning to write her letters, it has been decided that we will spell her nickname like this:
TALIE
I don't know if I like how it flows- and I still have to catch myself when I write it- I've been writing Tally (which, honestly I think is cuter) for three years now. But truth be told: Grandma Sherry was right, it will be easier for her to learn and will not be confusing when learning to write her entire name NATALIE.
So there you have it. Talie. Now that we've got it straight, you get it straight!
*****
My kitchen floors are gross. I got a steam mop for Christmas. Its so great. But is there a contraption that will sweep for me?
Oh wait...I've had one of those before. Do you have one?
Thanks Lindy, for the pic
*****
Chris and I have been talking a lot about the next few years. He'll graduate in the Summer of 2012. That means one more cold winter here, two more summers (yippee!) and then off to Grad School somewhere.
Where will our Misadventures take us? Florida? Texas? Cali? Idaho? Somewhere on the East coast? We'll have as many options as Chris' grades will allow...which will be many because, can I just say- he's rocking this Semester already! It makes me happy when I know he's putting in long hours studying. He's my straight A hubby (aspiring) and I love him!
*****
Natalie always says the funniest things...but then when it comes time for me to write them down, (like RIGHT NOW) I forget them.
But here is a funny argument that Chris and I had recently.
I say "You're hampering my style!"
He says "You're cramping my style!"
Chris asks- Hampering???- like a clothing HAMPER??? What does that even mean? I've never heard that before- you're totally saying it wrong!
I insist that its a correct word, but he is so adamant about how wrong it is, I am beginning to think maybe I HAVE been saying it wrong all these years! How embarrassing!
A few days go by. He still teases me about my Hamper, I laugh...and use the term more and more just to bug him.
THEN, Monday, he comes home from work and says, "Holly. I owe you an apology."
Turn out he asked Google (because she knows everything, right?)
Read it and weep baby!Turns out HE was the one using a word that didn't accurately fit! But I didn't rub it in. Only just now I did. Hehe.
Hampering
Cramping
I will never doubt myself again.
I am not coming to your bread baking class anymore. I don't want to learn to make bread, because then you wont make me any. Thanks, by the way. SOOO Yummy. Instead, I may bring Jackson over so Henry can teach him to crawl...the real way.
ReplyDeleteI love that Talie bosses her dolls around. That is so awesome and sounds exactly like a daughter of Holly should be. I think you and Chris are both right, depending on what you were trying to convey. Keep writing, my friend. You are good at it.
ReplyDeleteFunny Stuff I Write
How to spell names and nick names is a hard decision. I also love people who have 'laundry rooms'. I think when you think about a word that you are saying over and over it always seems to sound funny... same with when you are spelling it!
ReplyDeleteGreat post and wow what a list, I am warn out just thinking about it. You know what the perfect valentine gift is right? just get naked, and he will like it, you can throw some chocolate in the mix too. I have to admitt, I was with Chris on the cramping more then hampering. who knew? on google!
ReplyDeleteAh yes, but what about this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cramping%20my%20style
ReplyDeleteYou don't have to show Chris that link, however :-)
This house has been the first place we've lived with a laundry room since I got married. Talk about changing a girl's life! Such is the reality of living in the bay area, where you practically have to donate plasma or sell organs to afford such luxuries!