Sunday, February 20, 2011

Doing Hard Things

"I DID IT!"

I just have to say, if I could be OCD about one thing, it would be the need to exercise.
That would be just amazing.

I've done it before; I've been obsessed with doing things that were difficult, but good for me.
When I was a young high-schooler, I arose every morning at 4:30 to make Coach Vaughn's grueling 5:15 a.m. swim practices. On Saturdays, those practices were at 8am. I, (along with my supportive parents who had to drive me to the pool) woke up every morning without hesitation to be to the pool on time. Those were tiring years, but my time and effort paid off. I was part of a team that needed me. There was much expected of me from each of the members of the relay team. We were good. If I didn't show up for practice, or give my all during a practice, hard as it may have been, I would be letting myself down as well as my team. Some days it was very difficult to pull it together in my mind to make the swim count, but in the end, I really learned to master my mind and visualize the perfect time, the perfect workout, the perfect stroke, and the perfect winning race.

In those four years of swimming I came away with more than just champion times, but an appreciation for hard work, commitment, comradeship, winning, losing and goal setting.  I learned that I could do hard things.

Since the year 2000, I have done other hard things.
I fell in and out of shape.
I worked three jobs at the same time while in school to make ends meet.
I served an LDS Mission.
I dated. (hardest ever!)
I bore my children naturally.
I opened up to a stranger to make a new friend.
I changed some bad habits and replaced with good habits.
I ran a few races.
I endured emotional hardship.
I tried something new.
I practiced patience.

We have all done hard things in this life. It is what builds our character. At times it is easier to crawl back into bed where it is comfortable, warm and familiar. It is this "doing hard things" that I wish to teach to my children. I don't believe that it is ever too early to teach our children the value (and fun) of work. There is not a time that is better than others to be an example of persistence and success. Or giving up and failing. (Which ever it is, our children see it.)

Recently, Natalie and I headed over to a playground near my parents condo. This is the Mother of all playgrounds, with many challenging, fun apparatuses. Children old and young alike can climb, spin, slide, balance, twirl, run, swing and jump. It is a fabulous playground!
There were lots of children there playing, and Natalie was energized by the happy sounds and great weather. She amazed me by climbing up a rope ladder, to the top and then down again without blinking. I heard the children around her saying "look, the baby is doing it!" (she is pretty small!) I was thrilled with her performance, which she saw. We then headed over to the rock climbing wall where older children were only just attempting to climb. She very directly requested that I give her a lift to the lowest toe holds and then she'd climb the rest of the way up. I was a little nervous for her, but did as she asked and helped her steady herself as she confidently scaled the 8-10 foot (not sure, my perception was skewed looking UP) wall without any hesitation. Honestly, she did it all by herself. I was standing below her poised, ready to catch her if she fell (she was too high for me to actually have a hold on her!). When she got to the top, she continued to pull herself up and over onto the ledge and stood up. I was floored at her performance! She looked at me and with arms in the air yelled, "I DID IT!"

This is the just the beginning of my child understanding that she can do hard things! And that the reward for such accomplishments are immeasurable. It is something I hope she continues to do throughout her life. If I continue to believe in her abilities and push her to try new things, not barring her way, she will excel in so many of her own life's individual events.

I often reflect on my own experiences that were difficult, but worth it. I know I can do hard things because I have done them. They are my life's journeys to who I am. And whatever is to come, I welcome the challenge and growth that will follow!

14 comments:

  1. Holly, I'm so proud of you...and of Talie! "If I continue to believe in her abilities and push her to try new things, and not bar her way, she will excel in so many of her own life's individual events." My favorite line! Hits the nail RIGHT on the head. I have come to many of the same conclusions and it makes me feel grateful that I can push and support my children as well as show them by example that they too can do hard things. Love you girly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. Your Chicka rocks! I love the contemplative mood you've been in while blogging lately-substance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tallie is awesome! I don't think I learned that lesson until much later as I went on my first hike. Still nothing like looking down on the world and relishing in the accomplishment. Ü
    Funny Stuff I Write And Draw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! You are such a great mom, and you have definitely taught me many great things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post...very thoughtful and inspiring. I enjoy reading your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do and know hard things. One thing some people say to do is choose a family mantra. We had a family friend who had painted in their front room, "Bowers Family: We can do hard things". Ive always loved it. I think you should also adopt this and maybe paint it on your wall, or since vinyl is really in with the LDS these days, do that so you can fit in!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for Talie!
    In general, i agree with all your thoughts. but since it's a rougher day at work, I am thinking, "nope. I do not wish, nor welcome challenges. I like my life to be boring, and predictable.'

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so smart. Love the picture of Talie, she really looks super excited about what she just did, as she should be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post and Talie's ambition. She has a bright future if she's already taking on mountains 5 times her size.

    I think I'm just starting to understand why so many parents to crazy things for their kids... like wake up at 4:30 in the morning to take their kids to swim practice. It's just as rewarding for the parents to watch their kids accomplish hard things. We really did gain so many life lessons from all of those long hours spent in the pool. Didn't we. Sometimes I miss smelling like chlorine 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, Holly. Beautifully articulates lots of thoughts I've had about raising little ones to face the difficulties of life. I'm not particularly looking forward to the part where my kids fail at something they really want to accomplish and work really hard for....that's going to stink. That picture of Talie is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story! Go Talie go!

    ReplyDelete

I know you're blog stalking. So you may as well leave your thoughts here! Glad to have you!