Has anyone used this method when potty training their kids? Potty Training in One Day There are many books on this method. There are also a bazillion of other books covering all the other methods as well. I'm beginning to venture with Tally down this path. She is showing great signs of readiness, which is so exciting for me, she has NO idea! What have been your experiences with potty training? What worked? What did not? She's just over 20 months and I have it in my mind that she'll be out of diapers before she's 2.
Please, share! And thank you.
I tried a lot of different things with Seth, but none of them worked until it was HIS idea. He's pretty stubborn though, and he's a boy, so maybe Tally will be different.
ReplyDeleteI kept asking him every night if he wanted to go potty on the toilet, and I'd almost given up hope after so long of him declining, but one day he said yes and that was it. He was potty trained and he never even pooped his pants once!
Well, you know my darlings personally, so here's the scoop.
ReplyDeleteMcKinley was sooo not interested, and when he became interested, it was pretty easy. I offered rewards, and he gladly accepted. He was not "trained" until he was well over two. There was also the nighttime bedwetting issue for years, but he's a serious sleeper, and I don't believe in getting bent about something they obviously can't control.
Ettienne was a breeze. Seriously, it was as simple as handing her a pair of underwear (in rockin' kiddie prints). That little gem was completely potty trained at 16 months.
What I will say though is, DO NOT be pressured by vocal people saying this and that about when, if, and how. I think it is a timeline that you have to figure out with each individual child. Obviously you're asking because she seems interested, so that's good.
Go Tally!
16 MONTHS??? Holy Moly! Go Ettienne! I do believe in the timeline of the kid. I see a lot of parents pressuring their kid and the kid refuses and it just turns into a control issues. certainly dont want!
ReplyDeleteBryanna- I can see Seth doing what he did. Genius children are like that, right?!
Potty training in a day... a mother's dream. I've never heard of this method but let me know if you try it and how it works out. I do believe that each kid is unique and will accomplish this big step at different times, no matter what the parent does. We've tried all sorts of methods. Jed acted interested at 18 months so of course I encouraged it; who wouldn't want their kid trained earlier than later? I thought it would be a cinch. Well, 18 months later we are still working on the concept. He's pretty stubborn so pressuring him made things worse. When it is his idea, things go over a lot better. He has bladder control (bowel control is another story) but thinks it takes SOOOOOOOO much time to stop playing and run to the bathroom. It has worked best for us to put him in big boy undies all day, every day. More laundry for me, but when he's in diapers, he just does his number and keeps playing. Good luck on this new adventure! I hope things progress faster for Tally.
ReplyDeletecheck out pottytimeinc.com (DO NOT forget the inc at the end, trust me...)
ReplyDeletethe potty watch trained my daughter in about 2 days. it sings a song and lights go off every 30, 60 or 90 minutes to remind them to go potty. its amazing!
good luck!
We tried once with Lainee when she was about 20 months, and she said heck no. When we tried again at 23 months she was ready for it, but it still took about a week before I was brave enough to leave the house. Basically for that week she ran around the house naked. That way potty was fast (when we remembered a little too late) and she didn't like the idea of peeing on the floor. But good luck! Yay Tally!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Becky. We called it the naked $75 method. Let the baby be naked (works very well with girls because they don't like the feeling of the pee running down the leg) and then the $75 is to pay to have the carpet cleaned if needed. Courtney was 26 months and it took about a day for her and up until that point she REFUSED to go potty in the toilet. (It a total control issue with her.) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI say they potty train themselves when there ready.
ReplyDeleteI've tried just about everything, and finally I found out Play dough was what Jocelyn wanted! She will only pee though. When it's silent I know that she's in another room hiding while she poops in her pull-up. Wednesday was very joyous though! She pooped at Smith's in the toilet! Yay.....I think there is hope!
ReplyDeleteWe potty-trained Noah with this method just after Thanksgiving (he turned two Sept. 5th - so he was 26 mos. old) not because he showed signs of readiness, per se, but because I thought he could do it and wanted to give it a try! If it took, great, and if not, we'd re-visit it. We took the long weekend - Phil took Eliza every day on adventures and I stayed with Noah to do potty-talk and reinforcement. I do believe in the child doing as much of it themselves as possible (pulling down pants, sitting on the potty, emptying it into the toilet etc.) because I feel like that helps them feel like it's their thing and it's not something beyond their control that's being forced on them. First day was great, 2nd day was huge regression, 3rd day he was back on his game again. We still do diapers at night and naps because he's just still too inconsistent there (and I'm too pregnant to strip his bed everyday!), and we still have an accident maybe once or twice a week due to him waiting too long to go. I think I may have started him too soon, and have heard that if you wait until they're really ready, you clean up fewer accidents in the end. Overall, I'm just big on making sure it's not a power-struggle, regardless of when you do it. That's miserable and ineffective for everyone.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the novel. Good luck!
P.S. As you can gather, "Potty training in One Day" didn't really necessarily mean one day for us. This book was written pre-disposable diapers (not sure if you cloth diaper or not) but I think that's made a difference. Kids aren't as good at recognizing they're wet because disposables are so darn effective at keeping them dry. I think it's easier for kids that are cloth-diapered and remain aware of that "wet" feeling to get out of diapers, and I think they have more incentive.
ReplyDelete