Monday, June 29, 2009

To be 93

I've never been big on funerals. They make my heart ache, my eyes leak and my head spin thinking about the inevitable. But when I learned of my great Aunt Lydia's passing, I was surprisingly excited to attend her funeral. I looked forward to being able to celebrate her amazing life with other family members and friends of the sweet Kamas Valley. At the grave site, Dale, her son, made the comment that we all ought to go home and write what we would have shared had we been asked to speak at her funeral. I thought on that and while what I thought of would not really constitute a "talk" per se, it did give me an overwhelming sense of gratitude for the things this amazing lady has taught me. And so, in no particular order, here are my thoughts:

I have never met a woman who, in all my conversations, never spoke ill of anyone. The words that flowed from Aunt Lydia's mouth were always filled with love and praise- especially for you. When my mother and father split up and my mom left town, very few people asked about her or wondered how she was. Aunt Lydia always asked, "How's Lisa doing?" And I know she truly meant it. I hope I can make people feel special and loved no matter their circumstance or life changes.
In Lydia's old age, she lost most of her eyesight, so at church when you went up to her, you had to introduce yourself all over again. "Hi Aunt Lydia, its Holly! How are you?!" She'd hold your hand as you mosied down the hall to the next class. That hand hold always ended with a squeeze.

I love that Lydia let her hair go silver. My own grandmother who is 93, still colors her hair to be the red (like mine) that she had when she was young. Lydia showed a true confidence in taking on the changes that life threw at her. She embraced her old silver/purple hair. As I am sure she did other changes in her life. I plan on doing the same.

To be 93. Wow. The years between my daughter Natalie and Lydia=92 years. SO much has happened in that time. It is amazing to me to think of the things that our old friends have been a part of in their life time. I am inspired when I look at the life span of Lydia, as well as my own granny B., who I dont think will be here too much longer. There are sad funerals, and there are happy funerals. Lydia's was such a happy funeral- I think my bad attitude toward them has changed. And I am glad.
Thank you Lydia, for showing me what it means to endure to the end with love and patience. You are such a shining star.

Here are some pics from the cemetary. My grandmother Lorna Carpenter Butler wouldnt leave the car. (She has a hard time with death...) Thats my cousin Julie Butler in there with her.
My bother Tim Butler and Natalie


Lydia's bronze casket. She was super tiny when she died- a whopping 75lbs, so this casket is really small.


Me and Natalie next to Grandpa Dale Butler. He's been dead now for 9 years. I think it would be weird to see you name on a headstone when you were not even dead yet. Maybe thats why granny stayed in the car...



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you know amazing people too. Their aren't many people you can make you pause & reflect in such a positive way. Love your dress! You look hot!

    ReplyDelete

I know you're blog stalking. So you may as well leave your thoughts here! Glad to have you!