Saturday, October 4, 2008

Spud Day

If you ever are passing through Shelley, Idaho on the third Saturday of September on any given year, you will find yourself amidst the celebrating Shelley-ites. What are they celebrating you ask? Well, I will give you one guess. Heres a hint: It starts with "Pat" and ends with "atoe". Give up?

THE POTATOE!!! Yes folks, welcome to Spud Day! The single day dedicated to celebrating the harvest of the potatoes in Idaho! Here you will find such activities as potatoe picking, tug of war (over a pit of mashed potatoes mixed by the local cement truck), a kids parade, an big parade, complete with firetrucks (what would a parade be like WITHOUT a firetruck?!), an early morning Spud Run 5K or 10K, a demolition derby, street vendors and of course, free baked potatoes for all, complete with sour cream and cheese! Seriously folks, you dont want to miss this!

It has become our tradition to attend these festivities each year. I have been now a total of 4 times. (the first time before we were married, three since). It is a blast to gather with family and friends alike and spend this day coming and going to all the events. Who would have thought such a starchy carbohydrate would pull a family so close?!

This year, many of the Martineaus rallied together and ran the 5K together. We got up early and braved the chilly rainy weather. I was even able to talk Chris into running it with me! This was his first race and would you believe he ran it in like 25 mins? That is averaging like 8.something min! Crazy long legs! He hasnt even been running all year! I on the other hand have run and finished my 5K in 33 minutes. My cousin Lisa ran it in 26.something- and she is 5MONTHS pregnant! She's pretty much amazing! (Runner #237)

I hope that running this together continues each year. Its Definitely lots of fun!

*For more halarious shots of the Finish of this race, go here.
I highly recomend this if you want to laugh pretty hard at my re-creation of the finish*

The other thing I tried out this year was taking my massage chair and opened up shop along with all the other street vendors. I worked for three hours and made enough money to pay for our trip! Quite the deal!

Anyone is invited to attend the festivities of Spud Day each year! Mark your calender!

4 comments:

  1. so much fun, and I love that we all got together and ran this year, we're up for next, but I think we're trying the 10k. It was so great to see you guys, and I'm glad you got your trip paid for, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!

    "what would a parade be like WITHOUT a firetruck?!"

    You once related to me that the most fascinating sound in all the world was the blare of the horn from a firetruck. Bet you don't even remember that.

    I'll have to put this event on my calendar. Maybe I'll be in running shape by then. (Oh, my hip!)

    JKV

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I always loved the free potato bar at BYU-I during the potato harvest. Nothing like a juicy Idaho spud to lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete

I know you're blog stalking. So you may as well leave your thoughts here! Glad to have you!