Earlier this week I was just having one of those days, right from the get-go, that told me I needed to get away for the day. With the kids of course. I have been needing/wanting/craving/having dreams about a Beach Vacation for about a month now. I want to get to the ocean so bad it hurts. Can the tide pull at me from that far away?
So I improvised. The Great Salt Lake is only about 20 minutes from me, and for as long as I have been a Utahn, I am sad to say I don't ever recall going to the lake. At least in my adult years. There must have been an educational field trip during my school years...not sure.
By 10 a.m. we were out the door with some water, snacks, my camera and a spare diaper. I'm a simpleton. Come kids, I said. We're going to the lake!
The drive was quick and with a quick pit-stop and a treat at the gas station, we headed just 10 miles west of the airport. We watched a few airplanes take off right over our heads and I couldn't help but put myself on one of them in my mind. To Mexico. San Diego. Maine. Belize.
Breathe now. To the lake.
We were enthralled with all the millions of brine shrimp living in this mini ocean-like water. The marina with so many boats and the people who took advantage of sailing, especially on this particularly perfect day. A yacht. Yes, that would do. Room enough for all of us.
Its hard to imagine that back in the day this lake was a hot spot where people would gather and float in the briny water, sun bathe and socialize. I could see the ruins come to life.
Talie and Henry brought them to life!
We dug in the sand, made mud castles, played scientist with all the brine shrimp and basked in the sun. The only thing missing was quiet. It was beautiful out there, but with an active train yard, the highway and the airport all within a very short distance of the shore, it was hard to hear the lapping of the water, let alone my thoughts. I could however hear my children screaming in delight as they played for the better part of the day. And that was happy. But I came away that day feeling like this was just my placebo until the real deal could be arranged.
And believe me, I've been scheming.








Seth also loved the brine shrimp when we went there. Very fun. I hope you get your trip soon!
ReplyDeletelove this! Great pics too. I like the placebo idea. oh the great salt lake, now I am sad we never visited it. I will have to put it on the summer bucket list.
ReplyDelete