Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day


There are not too many things that get me choked up more than the feeling of family Patriotism. I am so grateful for all those who willingly enlist to serve our country. It is bitter sweet. Courageous and difficult. My father served his time in Vietnam. I see the Stars and Stripes written on his heart. I hear stories of  Old Timers serving in WWI and I just cannot help but well up inside as I learn of the sacrifice, the danger and the loyalty these people gave.

Last June my brother was deployed again. This time to Iraq. The sacrifices he is making are apparent in the eyes of his new wife. They cannot be hidden in his growing daughter and son's half-way smiles. And when his four year old son asks with a tear in his eye when Daddy will be home, you cannot ignore the pain of his absence. I don't have words for how much I wish Jer was home. Here with his family. Yet at the same time, my heart bursts with gratitude and pride for his service and all those with him. I salute him and all those who have left their lives behind.

And it is not just the soldiers I think of this day. My thoughts and prayers are with the families- the mothers and fathers who are left behind to deal with the dealings of every day life that are so much easier with two. To Jer's wife, Lindsay and his children- I hope I can be of help where it is needed! But mostly, I pray it is over soon and all will return home safely. 







*****
Be a Hero...and come home soon brother. Peace to you.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your GREAT post and most of all thank you to your brother! We wouldnt be the great USA if it wasnt for our hero's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great post! I can't imagine doing that or being married to someone who was gone that much doing such an amazing and terrifying thing! Bless those who serve and their families!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a beautiful post, Holly! I can't imagine the sacrifices that are being made on my behalf. Thank you to your brother and your whole family!

    ReplyDelete

I know you're blog stalking. So you may as well leave your thoughts here! Glad to have you!