Thursday, December 4, 2008

Grocery Bills Update

Our wholly unscientific, terribly thought out survey of grocery bills was a complete and utter flop. There were just too many variables that the survey alone does not consider. For example, the size of your family, or where you live. Nothing very insightful was gained other that what we had already suspected, which is this, Holly and I live on next to nothing, spending no more than $150 a month, with an average around $100.

Were we to care about our health, with more than just lip service, we would spend gynormus (sp) amounts in the name of nutrition. But alas, we love our pre processed, nutrition deprived, bleached paste many folks call poison. I found recently that all I need to live is sunshine, water and love *sigh*

ADDENDUM- HOLLY'S SIDE

Alright folks, its just not true. I happen to know that we do eat healthier now than we ever have. (Granted, Chris still loves his Macaroni and Cheese box dinners and Mt. Dew. Okay, he can have that. But I'll have you know I rarely touch the stuff.) I digress. I really don't know what Chris is talking about- "pre processed, nutrition deprived, bleached paste..." seriously. I do try to make everything from scratch. And I'm not saying that it tastes amazing or anything...its just cheaper that way- and usually healthier too, which is a bonus.
The main question I had after seeing the results of this survey was this: Does the amount you spent on groceries reveal whether or not you make healthy choices, or that you have the money to drop on it? I have decided that it does not. You can drop over $400 per month easy eating out at restaurants. And at the same time, you can spend that same $400 on fresh fruits and veggies and ingredients to create your own meals from scratch. You can also do the same with $100. You get my point. Wait, was there a point? Mmmm.
The other thing I learned from the results is that I look forward to the day that I can go to the grocery store and purchase all the things I need without the tiny budget we are on right now. When you see me dancing down the produce isle tossing all sorts of goodies into my car while whistling gayly- you know we've achieved a whole new level of financial security. Until then, I'll continue to feed my husband spaghetti and homemade bread and any other concoction I can muster up from the canned goods in my cupboards. And the rest of you? Well, maybe the results helped you consider your own budget and what you get for your money. Its always good to re-visit a budget and fine-tune it.
And while we're on that subject- Chris, can we spend more? Please?

क्रिस है परिशिष्ट (Hindi for Chris' addendum, thanks igoogle for your translation widget)

Holly is a fantastic cook and this was not intended to demean, demoralize, or down play her skills. The perspective I took was that compared to the folks that buy strictly organic, eat only "living" food, and would never think of touching something in a package, what we eat is poison. Now from the point of view Holly took, we eat very healthfully, and I'm great full (yes greatly full) for that.

When we get scurvy we will revisit the grocery budget ;)

8 comments:

  1. Fine. I'll just stop buying citrus or anything with vitamin C in it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scurvy Knave! - Shakespeare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where have I been? I haven't checked you out since before Halloween! I need to fix my blog updater! You 2 are funny! I smile just thinking about ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Holly. I voted on your grocery bill blog and now I feel horrible. I am SERIOUSLY impressed with how you follow a budget. I am NOT going to let my husband read this. I can't afford to give him any more ammo. This is Patrice (Shuppy) McNeil by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, fine, we spend too much money on groceries, but in my defense, we eat healthy most of the time. As long as you don't count Nick's McChickens and when I make homeade pizza, we're doing all right. Good for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. scurvy huh chris? Well i would hope you dont get that.
    We talk about the grocery budget all the time. With hard times like these budgets are tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we could stick to a grocery budget, but I think we're too lazy. We've tried a few times but we are so random with our shopping it kind of made it tough. We don't really go grocery shopping until we have no other choice which is usually every 3 or 4 months. Obviously we don't eat very healthy either. We do have a budget on how much money we can spend in gas, milk, eggs, and bread a month. Not that you needed to hear this whole spill....Anyho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I had seen your email address somewhere but I guess not. I really appreciated your comment on my blog, and I am leaving you my email address... mcneil_patrice@yahoo.com.. I'd love to hear your list of books that you read about the food!

    ReplyDelete

I know you're blog stalking. So you may as well leave your thoughts here! Glad to have you!