I met somone, well, not really. But I found a cool blog. I pretty much read her entire blog last night and was totally impressed at her ability to portray herself, her likes, dislikes, opinions- all of it- in such a way that sort of made me jealous. I mean, seriously, how does someone make a blog so great? Let alone have such an amazing life?! I've learned a lesson:
I've learned that there are different kinds of bloggers out there. There are those of us who use this free journaling as a means to keep our friends and famiy updated about our lives. A place for photos and such. We all recieve comments saying "Wow, thats so great!" or, "We love you and miss you!" or "Ha, ha, that is so funny..." All of these justify our need to continue blogging. We like the attention knowing that so and so is reading our blog! I better make it a good post! Witty, intelligent, only the best of pictures, and certainly nothing that would make me look lame! We write with our audience in mind. We write FOR them, like I am doing right now.
The other kind of bloggers, or I guess I should say, the other type of BLOG, is the kind with no agenda. Like an open journal for anyone to read. It is not censored or geared toward and one type of reader. Although they know it will be read by many random passers-by. Come one, come all. These are the blogs that are random in subject matter and do not break down how one's day went hour by hour. They may write about the impact that the new legacy Highway is making on the environment. They may write about how they observed a flower bloom. Whatever. Just thoughts on things. Sometimes its intersting, sometimes not.
The thing that these two types of blogs have in common is this: they are written so as to portray ourselves exactly how we want others to see us. As this other blogger put it so eloquently: "WARNING--THIS IS MY LIFE AS I WANT YOU TO SEE IT. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Be warned. :)
I had to laugh when I read your post. I must admit I've thought many times, "Darn it, why didn't I think of that" while reading someone's witty blog. In fact, I came across a random blog about a week ago and read most of his posts all the while feeling like my blog was so...so blah, I guess is one way of putting it. Complete fluff, without anything intelligent or witty to contribute to the bloggers world. Like you pointed out, most of our egos like the comments and the praise and the "how cutes" that one gets on "Mommy Blogs," as I've heard them referred to as. So here's to writing about whatever the heck we want and not letting The Man dictate our thoughts! So basically, stop by for some fluff and the occasional (What's opposite of fluff?) density (LOL) on the Roska's blog. Balance is the key! Oh and make sure and leave a comment....I've gotta have your comments! :)
ReplyDeleteI've thought this very thing so many times! Thanks for articulating it. It bugs me sometimes honestly. I like to see people for what they really are. But sometimes its pretty easy to see through people's "fluff" as Tahnie put it, and see reality. Although I like to think that the stuff I blog about is pretty much the real me, I know its also pretty full of fluff. Not sure this makes sense - but good post anyway Holly!
ReplyDeleteThis blog was so cute! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteHa ha just kidding. You know, I have started other blogs for just this reason. One is more like a journal, geared toward the reader and only the positive. the stuff I would like my great grand kids to know went on. My other blogs are just for me. But I still don't tell EVERYTHING for fear of familial judgement so they're pointless too. I really don't dare share what I am REALLY thinking with anyone. (Scary, isn't it...)So I guess my other blog is 1 part fluff, 2 parts personal/opining.
ReplyDelete