It was only a matter of time until we would embark upon yet another adventure in our life together. So here goes again!
Chris and I, and the baby, and the dog are moving. While I love Kamas and all the many many many (lol) things to do here- there seems to be a stronger pull toward SLC. It makes sense for us to live closer to where Chris works (UofU) and where I will be finishing up my massage schooling (Sugarhouse). So, we took the plunge and went apartment shopping last Saturday. I dont think either of us were expecting to come home that evening having signed a year contract for a little place in the avenues. Fifth Avenue to be exact. It is quaint and is forcing us to downsize. We're talking SERIOUS downsizing. There probably isn't more than 600 sq feet in this one bedroom, but it is cute and convenient, in a safe neighborhood and Hank is allowed to live inside with us instead of being a peeping tom all the time.
Our D.I. pile has been growing. I cannot believe how easy it is to accumulate so much stuff. And it is just that- STUFF. We have been living in a furnished place for the past 10 months and have survived without the things we have in storage. And frankly, I cannot remember what we actually have in storage. *A twin bed. A washer/dryer. A futon. Various antique pieces that I cannot let go of because I am sure they will be used once we're in our dream house. And boxes of more stuff. Yay.*
I have a confession. It is my fault that we have so much stuff. I'm not sure if it is genetic, or just being raised with the mentality to save everything. "You might need that one day!" And of course, as soon as you discard it, you DO need it! So messed up. I am working on it.
I keep thinking to myself: Simplify. Simplify. Simplify. But then I go on Craigslist, or other local classifieds and, for some reason, browse the furniture section. I don't know what it is that fascinates me about furniture. There is some really great stuff out there guys! So I conjure up all these ideas of what I could do with such and such a piece. I get my hopes up. I ask Chris what he thinks about this or that- and I know he is just laughing to himself because he knows that I know we won't be getting it. It is silly I know. But just you wait. When we build our dream house and I decorate/furnish with all of the random things I have been collecting and refurbishing all these years- you'll be amazed and I will say to myself: Whose laughing now?! Huh?!
So yes. We are moving. And we are taking virtually nothing with us. A bed. A futon. A crib. A desk. A book shelf. Oh and hangers- we'll need hangers. Maybe some toilet paper too.
I can do this, right?
Thanks a lot for moving away from k-town just as we are moving to it. About apartments though... boy they are annoying... and expensive but after going from an apartment to a large house... wow are they easier to clean! Apartments are great for starting out. And Zach and I are excellent at starting out. Starting out can last for years and years, right?
ReplyDeleteYay, now you'll be closer to me! Need a sitter on the big moving day? I have two milk "machines".....she won't even notice the difference! Ha! ha!
ReplyDeleteTahnie
Starting out? I feel like every time I move, I start over. Sort of refreshing, yet tiring all at once. I look forward to starting over and FINISHING, all in one place. Soon.
ReplyDelete