Saturday, October 20, 2007

BookWise

We all love money right? Or is it that we love the freedom that having money allows us to enjoy. Yes. That is is. You see, that scriptural text that people always quote saying "money is the root of all evil..." The correct phrase is actually "the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil" (1 Timothy 6:10). Having wealth- that means in all facets of life, in family, other relationships, posessions, career and money- does indeed open up many doors to different layers of happiness, and lack of stress. So, while Chris and I are on our journey through different phases of wealth, we are gathering information that will facilitate our actions. Things about frugality, saving, investing, smarter bank accounts (by the way, check out HSBC.com an online banking community where you can find 4.5% interest bearing checking and savings accounts w/ zero fees), life insurance, the importance of being full tithe payers and showing gratitude.

Chris is definitely the more talented one when it comes to money smarts, and has been the leader in this part of our life. I am definitely learning a ton! My point in sharing all of this is becuase I wanted to write about a company that Chris has become involved in and a fun (funny) experience we had just last night with it. The company is called BookWise and was started by Richard Paul Evans and Robert G. Allen, both multi-millionaires, here in Utah. I guess I should have Chris describe how the business works...from what I see, we get cool discounted books and have a down-line of other investors from which we earn a % of money from. Pyramid? Probably, but very few strings attatched, low risk. Bookwise also educates its associates in many ways including leadership, business stratagies, making your money work for you, and the like. You can visit bookwise.com for more info and if you like what you see, feel free to contact Chris for further information. *His associate number is 107008*
Ok, so that is the background for my funny story.

Think back to 1997. I was just 16. Just enjoying the thrill of my first kiss. Chris enjoying his new dating life while strung out on video games and red vines. Yes, it was 1997. The world was just starting to freak out about the prospect of Y2K, Ellen Degeneres was making it big in her new talk show, a gallon of gas was a whopping $1.22, a movie ticket was only $4.50 and the Titanic and Men in Black were at the top of the charts. Celine Dion, Spice Girls, The Verve and Hanson were popular music choices too. Do you remember? I can taste it like it was...well, ten years ago. One of the other bands that showed up during this time was known as Smash Mouth. (They sing the theme song from Shrek) Songs in their resume include: Im a Believer, All Star, Walkin on the Sun and the oh so, cant-get-it-out-of-my-head song, Cant get enough of you Baby. Im sorry, but these guys are indeed, very ten years ago...Im pretty sure their fan base these days are balding 40 year old accountant bachelors and 11 and 12 year old kids...
So, last night, Chris and I went to a BookWise conference at the Salt Palace and guess who was there to entertain all those associates? You guessed it, SMASH MOUTH!!! Like, oh my heck! I have always wanted to see these guys in concert- right along with Hanson and Spice Girls! Now I can check them off of my list! Ok, so we went to a Smash Mouth concert- but we still had a ton of fun chalking it up to sarcasm and cynisism. *Oh yes, I cannot get ee-nough of you Babyyyyy*. What was most humorous to me was that these guys were performing for a crowd of only about 400 people...most of which probably had never heard of them in their lifetime! And then there was Chris and me- secretely rocking out, making fun and laughing at the fact that not only did we have to endure the glorious music, but so did poor Sherry, the mom-in-law who also was there. Luckily, Smash Mouth was not the only reason we showed up to the conference. We also got a bunch of cool books for free/super cheap, got to walk past Robert G. Allen AND got to pay $5.00 in parking fees. It was a great evening actually- really funny- I apologize, but I just realized that for this to really be funny, you probably had to be there! Ha! Just use your imagination.
Chris is at the convention again today...I graciously declined the invite for fear of an ancore from Smash Mouth...but Im pretty sure he is learning lots about becoming a millionaire. That, I am ok with.

*Disclaimer: The aforementioned story about a lame concert has nothing to do with the rock-ed-ness of the company BookWise. Im sure the old rich person who booked the band just didnt know who they were...bless their heart! Furthermore, if there are folks out there who do in fact enjoy listening to Smash Mouth...bless your heart too. :)
Also, more about BookWise- they have a branch of the company called "AuthorWise" where they help people publish books. I know a few people who are writing books right now- a few who read this blog...and I think this is definitely an avenue to explore when you get closer to publishing your work! Check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Chris sounds a lot like Cody, they should get together and chat sometime about their plans to become millionaires! I think Cody has listened to pretty much all of Robert Allen's books too, they are good but my attention span often causes my thoughts to drift.
    It was fun to see you today at church, your pregnant belly is very cute!

    ReplyDelete

I know you're blog stalking. So you may as well leave your thoughts here! Glad to have you!